Craft Brewery Profile: Mayflower Brewery
If you like a little American history with your delicious craft beer, you’ll want to visit the Mayflower Brewing Company in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The Mayflower Brewery was founded ten years ago by a direct descendant of the beer barrel cooper from the Mayflower, John Alden. It’s a little-known fact that beer was the beverage of choice on the Mayflower, with sailors receiving a ration of about a gallon of it a day. In fact, according to Plymouth colony founder William Bradford, they chose to disembark at Plymouth because they were running low on beer.
The Mayflower Brewery continues that proud American tradition today by producing fine craft beers using the same water that the Pilgrims drank back in the 1600s.
What’s on Tap?
Beers you can find year ‘round at the Mayflower Brewery include:
- The New World IPA, which combines pale barley and wheat grains with a blend of four resinous Pacific Northwest hops for a light malt beer with bold fruit flavors and mild bitterness
- The EvoLupulin, an evolving double IPA which changes up its hop recipe every so often
- The Mayflower Golden Ale, a straw-colored ale that is rich in flavor but goes down smooth
For seasonal specialties, you’ll find:
- The award-winning Summer Belgian Session Ale, with pilsner, rye and wheat malts
- The Hometown Brown Ale with six types of malted barley
- The rich, smooth, Oatmeal Stout with three types of oats
If you get a chance, try some of Mayflower’s limited edition beers, such as:
- The Bradford (named for William Bradford, mentioned above), a Belgian-style Tripel Ale
- The Standish Imperial Stout, with strong notes of chocolate, dark fruit and alcohol
- The Hopflower, a unique IPA with lots of Mosaic and Simcoe added late in the boil, along with Citra and Amarillo dry hops
Make Sure to Catch…
…the Mayflower Tasting Room and Retail Store, where you can try a free “Speedwell Sampler” or the heftier “Mayflower Voyage” for a full selection of the different kinds of craft beers Mayflower Brewery offers. While you’re enjoying your beers, you can also pick up some cool Mayflower merch.
- New World
- American IPA 6%
- German Pislner 51 IBU 8%
- Daily Ration
- Session IPA 25 IBU 4.5%
- Golden Ale
- Golden Ale 15 IBU 4.5%
- IPA 77 IBU 6.1%
- Porter 34 IBU 5.2%