Craft Brewery Profile: Harpoon Brewery
Harpoon Ale is legendary, and the brewery that gave birth to it has a long and storied history. When you visit 306 Northern Avenue in Boston, Massachusetts, you can practically feel the beer love that inspired Dan Kenary, Rich Doyle and George Ligeti to build a microbrewery in a warehouse on the Boston waterfront back in 1987.
Decades later, Harpoon Brewery is still cranking out unforgettable craft beers. The only difference is that now the employees own the company, which is perfectly fitting in with Kenary, Doyle and Legeti’s vision, which has always involved great friends and great beer.
What’s on Tap?
You probably already have a pretty good idea about what beers you’ll find at the Harpoon Brewery, but just to whet your appetite, here’s a little reminder about some of the great beers Harpoon produces. Naturally, there’s a selection of IPAs, including the signature Harpoon IPA, the Harpoon Citra Sea IPA, the Take 5 session IPA and the Harpoon Camp Wannamango Pale Ale — a golden and copper beer with scents of mango, passion fruit and subtle hop. It has a slightly bitter, hoppy taste and an easy drinking finish with a touch of mango.
Other Harpoon treats you may find include:
- The Harpoon Dark, a dunkel with a hint of chocolate and a crisp hop bitterness
- The Crimson Kolsch, a collaboration with Trader Joe’s that combines a light body with a sweet, gently hopped aroma
- A variety of pilot beers, brewed with the Harpoon 10-barrel pilot system, Harpoon’s brewmasters can experiment with exciting new flavors, and you can tell them how they’re doing. The only caveat is that the Beer Captains insist on honesty when reviewing their new concoctions.
Make Sure to Catch…
…the Harpoon Keg Yard, an outdoor space at the Boston brewery that becomes a good time beer garden on the weekends in the summer. You can relax in the sun with old friends, and new ones, and enjoy select Harpoon and UFO draft beers, pretzels and lots of fun and games each Saturday and Sunday in the summer from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Harpoon IPA
- IPA 42 IBU 5.9%
- Harpoon Citra Sea
- Citra IPA 45 IBU 5.8%
- Harpoon take 5
- Session IPA 43 IBU 4.3%
- Harpoon House Golden Ale
- Golden Ale 26 IBU 4.7%
- Boston Irish Stout
- Dry Irish Stout 30 IBU 4.3%
- Harpoon Interrobang
- Imperial Stout 52 IBU 18%
- Frost Hammer
- Doppelbock 27 IBU 10.7%
- Harpoon Captain Kolsch
- Crimson Kolsch 26 IBU 4.8%